At the International Symposium on Optometry and Vision Science, the data report on Chinese Teenager’s Myopia-Related Visual Behaviors was released, revealing the four major reasons for myopia in children and teenagers in China. It was based on a sample size of 22,911 Chinese students aged 6 to 17 years old.
The report calls on both children and teenagers to cultivate 5 eye care habits:
- A minimum of 33cm of eye-to-screen distance
- A maximum of 3 hours of device use daily
- A minimum of 1 hour outdoors
- Positioning the device slightly lower than eye level
- A recommended amount of light of 200 lux and above
These five key recommendations are explored in further detail in this report. It includes statistics of children and teenagers who face myopia.